Friday, July 27, 2012

DIY Braided Headband..for FREE!!

This is something I really like making because it is cute, so simple and you can make it in a few minutes for literally next to nothing. They are very simple to make all your need to know are very basic sewing skills and how to braid tightly..my daughter can even make them, and she does. I think I have made one for just about everyone I know because they have asked me to and they are amazed at how simple and quickly I can put them together. This is another great option for a DIY Christmas gift for a teenage girl or for any woman really because you can really customize them. The materials are things you already have laying around your house, you don't need to purchase anything to make these that is the best part!! No more suspense here goes...

Materials:
  • 3 different old T-shirts (or cotton fabric scraps)..2 of them MUST be cotton or spandex based  the third can be any other material
  • An Elastic Hair Tie
  • Needle and Thread
  • 4-6 Straight pins to hold things in place
  • Embellishments if you desire however I do prefer them plain most of the time
The base of these can be made in two different styles a single braid and a double braid. I generally make a double braid because I like that look better however if I am adding a fabric rosette or gems I stick wit the single braid as it becomes too much. I am going to show you how to make the double braid, obviously for the single braid you would omit the second braid and also I do make my fabric strips slightly thicker about 1" wide each for the single braid.


  1. Take the old shirts (or fabric scraps) and cut them into strips. This part is really about your preference. Since this is your first time making one start with a strip that is about 1/2" to 1/4" wide (I do not measure them and they usually are not all the same width I like the look it gives  that way) you want them about 14" long for a cotton strip and 25" long for a non cotton or spandex based strip. The reason being the non cotton or spandex based materials like rayon for example have no stretch to them therefore will not produce a long enough braid.
  2. Pin all three strips together and tightly and closely braid them together stretching the fabric taught as you go so that it makes it longer.
  3. once you have braided it all the way to the end pin the end so it is secure, and begin the second one repeating the same process.
  4. Hold the two braids together so that the ends are even. Take your elastic hair tie and wrap the ends around the hair tie and secure with another pin.
  5. Repeat the same for the other side only do not hold the ends together this time. Instead make sure the braids are together so they are even. **One end may be longer than the other when you go to wrap it around you may cut them even after you pin them together. The most important part is that the headband does not have one braided part that is higher/looser than the other.
  6. Now sew the ends together but do NOT sew them to the hair elastic only to each other. You can use any simple stitch that you are comfortable with as long as it secures the braids to themselves (front to back) and also secures them to each other (down the middle). Do this on both sides.
  7. If you want to add embellishments you may do so. I have sewn on fabric rosettes, buttons and crocheted flowers to these and they looked beautiful.

Here are some single and double braided ones that I have previously completed.

 I hope you enjoy this project and keep saving those old shirts and t-shirts, I have MANY more projects to share with you to up cycle the fabric with.

No comments:

Post a Comment