Monday, July 23, 2012

"Amazing" Homemade Facial Toner

I am normally not a big fan of any added steps to my normal skincare routine. Call me lazy but I call it comfortable. Wash & moisturize, morning only..that's it. Worst of all go to bed with my make-up on. Yes, crucify me now, as a licensed Cosmetologist I know better than to do this, however it has worked my entire life and any alteration to this regime does cause me to mildly break out.

My daughter however has not been so lucky, she had a mild acne problem that was only on her forehead. As a tween-ager this was a MAJOR problem..I mean daily melt down delima! So I tried all of the over the counter everything I could find and nothing was working. Everyone in my family was telling me "Use Proactive it's the only thing that works". On my budget that is just not possible. So while trolling through Pinterest one morning I found a recipe for a Facial Toner that seemed easy enough to make and I figured why not try it at the worst we will have another failure...I found a gem in this toner!!

With less than a week of her using it twice a day her acne was COMPLETELY GONE!! Yes, you read that correctly GONE, and no scaring either! I was beyond impressed and she was a very happy girl. It also has not returned after 2 months of still using it! I am not saying this will work for everyone but it did for her and hopefully it will for some of you too.

It's main intention is to tighten pores as any toner does and because of the lime juice in it when in the sunlight it can cause lightening of the skin, I have not noticed any in her or myself but just in case make sure you are wearing sunscreen as you should be anyway.

I did modify the recipe that I had found slightly and this is what I will stick with since it is what worked for me. This is for Oily skin, in order to make it for Dry/Normal/Combination skin omit the Alcohol. I have Combination sin and do use it in my T-Zone only at times as is with no problems.

Materials:
  • Clean Empty Plastic Bottle
  • Funnel
  • Strainer
  • 1/2 Cup Fresh Squeezed Lime Juice
  • 2/3 Cup Witch Hazel
  • 1 Cup Water
  • 2 Tbsp Rubbing Alcohol
  1. Juice the lime and strain any pulp and seeds from the juice. You should be able to get 1/2 cup of juice from one good sized lime, if they are smaller you may need two.
  2. Funnel all ingredients into the clean plastic bottle. Shake well.
  3. Apply to CLEAN SKIN twice a day. Make sure you shake the bottle before each use.
  4. Store out of direct sunlight as it will diminish the effectiveness of the toner.

*My first batch I made a half batch (cut all of the ingredients in half and mixed them) to see if it would work. That was a little over 2 months ago and it's almost time to make another batch so there is nothing wrong with making this in a smaller quantity.

*I am not a scientist and I do not know why this works. I am only passing on to you what I have found to work for me in hopes that it will work for some of you.

*Witch Hazel can be found at any local retailer..I bought it at Wal*Mart in the Health isle where the peroxide and rubbing alcohol is, I also have purchased it at Tops. If you cannot find it ask the Pharmacy Staff they will be able to help you locate it.

No comments:

Post a Comment